What are TMJ Symptoms?
TMJ disorders may occur in any of the components of the temporomandibular joint and may include
- Headaches and migraines
- Pressure and pain behind the eyes
- Jaws that lock or get stuck
- Closing your mouth results in a popping or clicking sound
- Painful or tender jaw muscles
- An uneven or uncomfortable bite
It is possible to have some but not all of these symptoms, and it is also possible for them to present with other symptoms and conditions not listed here.
The only positive way to know if you do in fact suffer from TMJ disorders is to have a thorough assessment which would include a medical and dental history, a clinical examination and some x-rays.
What Are Your Treatment Options For TMJ Disorders?
TMJD cannot be cured however there are a number of different treatments that could improve your symptoms significantly. Some treatment options for TMJ disorders include
- Over-the-counter pain relief, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories may help with temporomandibular disorder.
- Wearing a mouth guard or appliance to reduce the force of grinding and clenching your jaw
- Practicing relaxation techniques and therapies to assist with muscle tension in the jaw.
- Eat soft food or cut your food into smaller, more manageable pieces to help with pain associated with temporomandibular disorder.
If you believe you are displaying TMJ symptoms it is important to have a professional assessment to check for TMJ disorders as soon as possible. Contact us for a convenient appointment: (03) 9068 5357.